Meet the Faculty
Juanie N. Walker
Associate Professor of Communication
Division: Communication Division
Office: Center for Communication and Business (CCB) 252
Phone: (310) 506-4036
- Ph.D., Communication, University of Southern California, 1994
- M. A., Communication, Pepperdine University, 1987
- B. A., Advertising and Journalism, Pepperdine University, 1984
- Master's Thesis
- Organizational Communication for Graduate Students
- Qualitative Communication Research for Graduate Students
- Directed Studies in Communication for Graduate and Undergraduate Students (Chaos Theory, Gender in Organizational Communication, Computer-Mediated Communication)
- Communication Internship
- Seminar in Communication (Communication in Industries)
- Training and Development
- Organizational Communication Analysis
- Communication in Organizations
- Business and Professional Communication
- Small Group Communication
- Nonverbal Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Public Speaking and Rhetorical Analysis
- First-Year Seminar, What's your Story?: Discerning, Writing & Understanding Vocational Narrative
- Pepperdine University Voyage vocation-related grant from Lilly Endowment, academic program for the Communication Division, 2003 - 2005.
- Pepperdine University Voyage vocation-related grant from Lilly Endowment, graduate student assistant for Comm Connection: Character, Calling & Careers conference for Communication Division, 2004-2005.
- Pepperdine University Voyage vocation-related grant from Lilly Endowment, student development of organizational vision for Standing on Stone ministries, Malibu, CA, Spring 2003.
- Who's Who in Social Science Higher Education, 2004.
- Who's Who in the West, 2000-2001.
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 1998., 1998
- Dictionary of International Biography, 29th edition, 2001.
- Pi Beta Phi Sorority, Outstanding Teacher's Recognition Award, 1999.
- Outstanding Young Women of America, Outstanding Young Americans, 1997., 2001
- International Communication Association
- National Communication Association
- Religious Communication Association
- Western States Communication Association
- Dialogue and self-directed learning teams
- Narrative and theology of vocation
- Paradoxes and paradoxical thinking in organizations and relationships
- Supervision of Student Organizational Communication Field Research and Consulting (1994 - 2007):
- American Airlines
- Boeing Rocketdyne
- Camp Congo indoor and outdoor children's camp
- Camp Titan for underprivileged children
- City of Malibu City Council
- Dae Woo
- Diamante Christian Record Distributor
- Drive Design graphic design company
- Futurestep Candidate Services Department
- Internal/External Communication
- Johnny's Pizza
- Los Angeles Union Rescue Mission
- Malibu Night 'N' Day answering service
- Malibu Yogurt
- National School Safety Center
- New Horizons habilitation center
- Newport Beach Fire and Marine Department
- Noah's Bagels
- Pepperdine University organizational communication major
- Protocol Placement Services
- Seaver College organizational diversity
- Standing on Stone Ministries (SOS)
- Stiletto Entertainment
- Ventura County Chapter of Habitat for Humanity
- Ventura Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Webster Elementary School
- West Valley Food Pantry
- Westside Pregnancy Resource Center
- Walker, J. N. (Winter 2008). Review of Quentin Schultze's Here I Am: [Now What on Earth Should I be Doing?], Journal of Communication & Religion.
- Walker, J. N. (Fall 2008). Teaching Paradoxical Thinking in Christian Education. Journal of Faith and the Academy, Faulkner University, Montgomery, AL, 13 - 25.
- Walker, J. N. (Editor, Fall 2006), Conversations on Hope and Vocation. Proceedings from Comm Connection: Character, Calling, and Careers 2004 & 2006. Center for Faith and Learning, Pepperdine University Press.
- Walker, J. N. (Fall 2006). Christian and Secular Hope in an Age of Despondency. Proceedings from Comm Connection: Character, Calling, and Careers Conference 2006, Center for Faith and Learning, Pepperdine University Press.
- Walker, J. N. (Fall 2006). Connecting Technical and Liberal Arts Education: Bearing Fruit in the Communication Discipline. Proceedings from Com Connection: Character, Calling, and Careers. Center for Faith and Learning, Pepperdine University Press.
- Walker, J. N. (2005, June). Exploring Vocational Calling through Narratives. Texas Speech Communication Journal, 30(1).
- Walker, J. N. (2001). Pragmatic Paradoxes of Female Academicians at a Christian University: Ethnography and Narrative Analysis of Contested and Authored Authority. Research on Christian Higher Education, 8, 19-42.
- Walker, J. N. and Walker, M. G. (2000, May). Managing After the Merger: The Challenges of Employee Feedback and Performance Appraisals Case Analysis. Management Communication Quarterly, 13(3), 685-694.