Meet the Faculty
Christopher D. "Chris" Doran
Associate Professor of Religion
- Ph.D., Systematic & Philosophical Theology, Graduate Theological Union, 2007
- M.Div., Pepperdine University, 2002
- B.A., Biology, Pepperdine University, 1998
- Christianity & Sustainability
- Theology & Science
- Christian Ethics
- Faith & Reason (First-Year Seminar)
- National Endowment of the Humanities Summer Scholar
- CDIUR Grant
- AYURI Grant
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature & Culture
- Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences
- American Academy of Religion
- Christian responses to the ecological crisis
- Concepts of humanity in light of the natural sciences
- Environmental ethics and public policy
- Theology and science dialogue
- Chris Doran, "Being Sustainable Through Frugality: Good for the Soul, the Neighbor & the Earth" forthcoming.
- Chris Doran, "What Would Leopold Think," forthcoming.
- Chris Doran, "A Christian Contribution to Sustainability," Teaching Sustainability and Teaching Sustainably, forthcoming.
- Chris Doran, "Christian Responses to Evolution," The Routledge Companion to Religion and Science (October 2011).
- Chris Doran, "Intelligent Design: It's Just Too Good to be True," Theology & Science, vol. 8, no. 2 (May 2010): 223-37.
- Chris Doran, "From Atheism to Theodicy to Intelligent Design: Responding to the Work of Francisco J. Ayala," Theology & Science, vol. 7, no. 4 (November 2009): 337-44.
- "Living on the Edge by Being Frugal" at Living on the Edge, 4th International Conference of the International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture, Perth, Australia (December 16-19, 2010)
- "Frugality: The Missing Link in the Discussion about Sustainability" at Campus Initiatives to Catalyze a Just and Sustainable World, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, Denver, CO (October 10-13, 2010)
- "Sustainability in Christian Higher Education: A Look at Pepperdine University" at Campus Initiatives to Catalyze a Just and Sustainable World, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, Denver, CO (October 10-13, 2010)
- "Sustainability & Pepperdine University: A Contradiction in Terms?" at Working Together for Sustainability: On Campus and Beyond, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, Raleigh, NC (November 10-12, 2008)
- "And God said, 'Let There Be Specified Complexity': A Critical Appraisal of Intelligent Design" at God, Nature, and Design:Historical and Contemporary Perspectives, Oxford University, (July 10-13, 2008)