Meet the Faculty
Roslyn M. Satchel
Assistant Professor of Communication
- Ph.D. Media & Public Affairs, Louisiana State University, 2013
- J.D. Law, Emory University, 2000
- M.Div. Theology, Emory University, 2000
- B.A. Mass Communication, Howard University, 1995
- Public Relations Writing
- Communication Ethics
- Public Relations Strategies & Tactics
- Research Methods
- Cultural Competence
- History of Human Rights Movements in the U.S.
- Human Rights in Policy Advocacy & Community Organizing
- Member, Public Relations Society of America
- Member, National Communication Association
- Member, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication
- Member, Kappa Tau Alpha National Honor Society
- Fellowship Award, Southern Regional Education Board and Louisiana Board of Regents
- Honoree, Emerging Voices Award, Spelman College's WISDOM Center
- Honoree, National Association of Black Social Workers
- Honoree, EBONY Magazine's "30 Young Leaders of the Future"
- Honoree, Herman Dooyewerd Prize in Law & Religion, Emory University School of Law
- Honoree, National Crime Prevention Council's 50 Strategies for Faith and Justice Collaboration
- Honoree, Institute for Women's Policy Research's Called to Speak: Women, Religion & Advocacy
- Honoree, Institute for Women's Policy Research's The Ties That Bind: Women's Public Vision for Politics, Religion & Civil Society
- Communication, Culture & Human Rights
- Democracy & Media Diversity
- Intersectionality in Media, Religion, and Law
- Public Relations & Public Affairs
- Satchel, R. M. (Under Review). Celebrated Images of Blackness: A content analysis of African American Oscar award-winning roles in the twentieth century.
- Satchel, R. M. (Under Review). Creating Xenophobia, Threatening Democracy: "Native" Imagery in the Ten Commandments, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Avatar.
- Satchel, R. M. (2013). Burn, Boil & Eat: An intersectional analysis of stereotypes in the most influential films of all time. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University. Retreived from http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-06272013-205033/unrestricted/Satchel_diss2013.pdf
- Satchel, R. M. and Augustine, J. (2012). Religion, Race, & the Fourth Estate: Xenophobia in the Media Ten Years After 9/11, "Tennessee Journal of Race, Gender, & Social Justice": Vol. 1: Iss. 1, Article 3. http://trace.tennessee.edu/rgsj/vol1/iss1/3/.