Meet the Faculty
Associate Professor of Art History
- Ph.D. in Art History, University of California, Los Angeles, 2011
- M.A. in Regional Studies, East Asia, Harvard University, 2003
- B.A. in International Studies, Middlebury College, 2000
- Why Art? (First Year Seminar), GSFA 199
- World Art History I, ARTH 200
- World Art History II, ARTH 300
- Korean Art, ARTH 448
- Chinese Art, ARTH 446
- Methodological Approaches to Art History, ARTH 390
- Senior Thesis, ARTH 490
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Pilot Course Grant, 2015-2017
- Smarthistory at Khan Academy Travel Fellowship, funded by Andrew A. Mellon Foundation, 2016
- Seaver Research Council, Research Grant, 2015-2016
- Fine Arts Division Endowed Fellow, Pepperdine University, 2013-2014 & 2014-2015
- Dean's Research Grant, Pepperdine University, 2012
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program, Pepperdine University, 2012 & 2014
- Lenart Internship, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, Summer 2008
- Edward A. Dickson History of Art Fellowship, UCLA, 2007-2008
- Fulbright-IIE Fellowship, Taipei, Taiwan, 2006-2007
- Edward A. Dickson History of Art Fellowship, UCLA, 2005-2006
- UCLA Graduate Summer Research Mentorship Fellowship, Summer 2005
- Title VI National Resource Fellowship, Classical Chinese Language Level V, Summer 2004
- Andrew Mellon Fellowship, 2003-2004
- Institute of Connoisseurship in Chinese Painting and Calligraphy Fellowship, Washington D.C., sponsored by the Henry Luce Foundation, Summer 2003
- Title VI National Resource Fellowship, Japanese Language Level II, Summer 2002
- International Studies Award, Middlebury College, Spring 2000
- Chinese garden imagery and visual culture
- Early modern Chinese painting
- Kristen Chiem and Lara Blanchard, eds. Gender, Continuity, and the Shaping of Modernity in the Arts of East Asia, 16th-20th Centuries, edited anthology (Brill, forthcoming 2017).
- Kristen Chiem, "Beauty under the Willow Tree: Picturing Virtuous Women in Nineteenth-Century China," in Gender, Continuity, and the Shaping of Modernity in the Arts of East Asia, 16th-20th Centuries, edited by Lara C.W. Blanchard and Kristen L Chiem (Brill, forthcoming 2017).
- Kristen Chiem, "Painting, Peonies, and Ming Loyalism in Qing Dynasty China, 1644-1795," Archives of Asian Art 67, no.1 (2017): 83-109.
- Kristen Chiem, "Reconsidering Gender Realms: The Garden as Site and Setting in Late Imperial Shanghai," in Women, Gender, and Art in Asia, 1600-1900, edited by Melia Belli Bose (Oxon and New York: Routledge Press, 2016): 297-321.
- Aditi Chandra; Leda Cempellim; Kristen Chiem; Abigail Lapin Dardashti; Radha J. Dalal; Ellen Kenney; Sadia Pasha Kamran; Nina Murayama; and James P. Elkins, "Looking Beyond the Canon: Localized and Globalized Perspectives in Art History Pedagogy," Art History Pedagogy & Practice 1, no. 1 (December 2016): 1-48. http://academicworks.cuny.edu/ahpp/vol1/iss1/2
- Kristen Chiem and Cynthia S. Colburn, "Global Foundations for a World Art History," Visual Resources 31, no. 3-4 (2015): 177-199.
- Chiem, Kristen. "Picturing Common Ground: Art beyond Eighteenth-Century Yangzhou," Artibus Asiae 73.1 (2013), 181-218.
- Wu Hung and Peggy Wang. Contemporary Chinese Art: Primary Documents. New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2010. Translation.
- Lin, Lina. "From Sitting on Mats to Sitting on Furniture: The Evolution of Chinese Furniture from the Han and Tang Periods through the Five Dynasties." Bulletin of the Oriental Ceramic Society of Hong Kong 15 (2007-2012): 30-40. Translation.
- Kristen E. Loring, "Illustrious Icons and Flower Garlands: Defining Buddhist Imagery in Eighteenth-Century Yangzhou Painting." In The Lifestyle and Entertainment in Yangzhou, edited by Vibeke Børdahl and Lucie Olivova. Copenhagen: The Nordic Institute of Asian Studies Press, 2008.