Meet the Faculty
Visiting Assistant Professor of Creative Writing
Interim Director of Creative Writing (2014-15)
- BA, English, California State University, Fresno, 2001
- MFA, Creative Writing, University of Oregon, 2003
- Advanced Poetry Workshop
- Intermediate Creative Writing
- Beginning Creative Writing
- English Composition
- National Poetry Series Selection, 2013
- Brett J. Love Award for Teaching Excellence, Pepperdine University, 2012
- Ruth Lilly Poetry Fellowship, Poetry Foundation, 2009
- "Discovery"/Boston Review Poetry Prize, Boston Review/Unterberg Poetry Center/92nd Street Y, 2009
- Aesthetic theory
- Frankfurt School critical theory
- Modern and contemporary poetry and poetics
- What Ridiculous Things We Could Ask of Each Other: Poems. University of Georgia Press, 2014
- "J. Listens to Line Static on the Last Pay Phone in the Continental U.S." Miramar, 2014 .
- "To the Unexploded H-Bomb Lost in Tidal Mud off the Coast of Savannah, GA." Miramar, 2014.
- "Offering of Two Burning Calves." Southern Indiana Review, Fall 2013.
- "The Soul as a Kind of Life I Sort of Lived Once." Anti-, 2013.
- "Inner City Circular Saw Cosmology Blues." Anti-, 2013.
- "Apocalypse When?" Solo Novo, forthcoming 2013.
- "The Soul as Rooms for Rent." 32 Poems, 10.2, Fall, 2012.
- "Permanent Collection." Prairie Schooner, 86.1, Spring, 2012.
- "The Mourner's Fare." Prairie Schooner, 86.1, Spring, 2012.
- "The Soul as Social Service Caseworker." Boxcar Poetry Review, 28, Summer 2011.
- "The Soul as Kaczynski." Copper Nickel, 16, Fall 2011.
- "The Soul as Episode in the Supermarket." Copper Nickel, 16, Fall 2011.
- "Our Lady of the Electrical Substation." Linebreak, December 28th, 2010.
- "Old News and the Borrowed Blues." Indiana Review, 32.2, 2010.
- "As if Someone Were Trying to Tell Us Something." Grist, 3.1, 2010.
- "J. Finds in His Pockets Neither Change nor Small Bills." Poetry, November 2009.
- "The Gathering Blues." Missouri Review, Fall 2009.
- "J. Resists the Urge to Comment on Your Blog." Missouri Review, Fall 2009.
- "These Arms of Mine." Northwest Review, Fall 2009.
- "J. Begins by Saying The World's Not as It Should Be." Art Beat, PBS NewsHour Online. May 18-May 24, 2009.
- "J. Steals from the Rich and Uses the Money to Get Drunk Again." Boston Review, May/June 2009.
- "J. Learns the Difference Between Poverty and Having No Money." Poetry, February 2008.
- "Weekday Apocalyptic." Poetry Northwest, Spring / Summer 2007.
- "The Day Before the Revolution." Solo Cafe #2, Fall 2006.
- "Power Outage, Fresno, California, August 10th, 1996." Great River Review #45, Fall 2006.
- "Sunset at the Meat Packing Plant with Shoes Slung over an Electrical Wire." Willow Springs #57, Spring 2006.
- Pepperdine University Humanities and Teacher Education Symposium "Seriously Childish"
Malibu, CA 2014
- Critical Pedagogy & the Creative Writing Workshop Conference "Cliché as Reification: Introducing the Method of a Radical Criticality in the Undergraduate Creative Writing Classroom"
Purchase, NY 2013
- Associated Writers & Writing Programs Conference (AWP) "'Just a way of joining one thing to another,' Larry Levis and Teaching Metonymy in the Creative Writing Classroom"
"A blueprint of something never finished": Larry Levis in the Classroom Panel Boston, MA 2013
- Christian Scholars Conference, Pepperdine University "Our Daily Disaffirmation: Poetry and the Preservation of Negative Thinking"
Poetry in the Age of Science Panel
Malibu, CA 2011
- Associated Writers & Writing Programs Conference (AWP) "The Poem Doesn't Want: Refocusing on the Poet as Agent in the Process of Making"
Pedagogy Forum Presentation
Washington, D.C. 2011